.

Friday, February 8, 2013

Quinoa Jambalaya


I love the this recipe and I love Jambalaya. I'm all about the spicy food and if you can make it into a healthy version of one of my favorites - I'm all over it. This totally hit the spot. I got this recipe from one of my favorite blogs He and She Eat Clean. They have tons of great clean eating recipes and really break down how to prep each week. You should check them out. One of my favorites. Enjoy this recipe. It's a good one. 




Ingredients:
Olive Oil (just to coat the pan)
1 Onion, chopped
2 Zucchini, chopped
2 Red Bell Peppers, chopped
2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
2 Chicken Sausage, sliced (we use Trader Joes)
1/2 cup of Dry Quinoa
1 cup of Chicken Broth (no salt or reduced sodium)
1 28 oz can of Diced Tomatoes (we used fire roasted)
1/2 lb of Shrimp, peeled & deveined
Sea Salt & Pepper

Directions:
1. Saute onion, zucchini, bell peppers, garlic, & sausage in a pan for 5 minutes (you will need a large pan!).
2. Add the quinoa & stir.  Cook 2 minutes.
3. Add broth & tomatoes & bring to a boil. Reduce heat & cover. Simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add shrimp & cover to simmer again. Simmer for 5-10 minutes (or until the shrimp are cooked through).
5. Add sea salt & pepper to taste.

Optional Toppings: Green Onion

Makes 4 Servings

Macros (this is from Oxygen Magazine, yours will vary depending on the brands you use):
Calories: 400
Fat: 15 g
Carbs: 39 g
Fiber: 6 g
Protein: 24 g

1 comment :